Paul is a seasoned trial lawyer, having conducted numerous jury and non-jury trials in state and federal courts and arbitral tribunals. Paul and his team of accomplished litigators represent both plaintiffs and defendants in high stakes, groundbreaking commercial litigation throughout Florida and the United States. Paul and his complex litigation team have helped their defendant clients avoid more than $3 billion in claimed liabilities and helped their plaintiff clients recover more than $500 million in verdicts and settlements.
Paul represents clients in a wide variety of complex case types, including intellectual property, such as trade secrets, trademarks, and copyrights, antitrust, breach of contract, corporate governance, professional negligence, derivative claims, adversary proceedings in bankruptcy on behalf of creditors, debtors, and trustees, non-competes, class actions, and business torts such as fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, and tortious interference, among others.
Paul also regularly represents other law firms and legal consulting organizations in their commercial litigation matters, a testament to his reputation for excellence in the legal community. Indeed, Paul has been selected by his peers as a Super Lawyer every year since 2016.
After graduating from Columbia Law School in 1996, Paul joined a large firm where he immediately began to develop his expertise in complex litigation, successfully defending class actions seeking hundreds of millions of dollars in damages, threatening his clients’ survival.
Paul joined with Rich McIntyre to form McIntyre Thanasides in early 2007. McIntyre Thanasides has since grown to more than 60 attorneys and staff, owing to the firm’s innovative business model, attractive platform for top-notch attorneys, and the excellent work of its lawyers and personnel.
Paul is currently the firm’s general counsel, a member of the firm’s board of directors, and chair of the firm’s complex litigation division, which includes the following talented litigators: Jennifer Jones (appeals), Christina Casadonte-Apostolou, Mary Thanasides, Garrett Severson, Christa Queen-Sutherland, TJ Harvey, Iva Todorova, Stephen Shaw, Ashley Hamill, and Josh Smith. The complex litigation division also includes three staff members/paralegals, headed by the group’s Director of Litigation Support, Bret Yee.
Paul’s substantial experience includes:*
- Obtained dismissal with prejudice of a $100M+ Title VI class action, upheld on appeal.
- Lead counsel of a successful $200M+ class action against more than 10 defendants in the supplement industry across 7 states.
- Successfully resolved breach of fiduciary duty claims that saved the client just under $1 billion in claimed liabilities.
- Co-lead counsel in a 30-day complex breach of contract trial that ultimately culminated in a $20M+ settlement for the client.
- Obtained summary judgment dismissing a $30M+ RICO claim.
- Litigated more than 50 corporate governance disputes with over $1B at stake.
- Obtained summary judgment dismissing purported $300M+ antitrust class action.
- Resolved a $50M+ breach of contract and fraud claim against his client for $150,000.
- Resolved a $10M+ trade secret, trademark, and copyright claim against his client for less than $100,000.
- Obtained a $15M+ settlement for the client in a legal malpractice case.
- Obtained summary judgment dismissing a $35M+ fraud claim.
- Co-counsel for plaintiff in a pending $400M+ trade secret litigation.
- Resolved a $14M+ TCPA class action against his client for $75,000.
- Lead counsel for plaintiff in a pending $200M+ breach of contract claim.
- Lead counsel for plaintiff in a pending $30M+ tortious interference claim.
- Represents 5 law firms in their commercial litigation matters.
- Resolved a $7M+ adversary proceeding in bankruptcy against his client for $300,000.
- Represents a 200-member legal and business consulting, auditing, accounting, trustee/receivership and expert witness firm.
- Successfully defended an $80M+ fraud claim resulting from an insurance company insolvency.
- As general counsel for a startup software company, negotiated and secured angel investment to initial and mezzanine venture financing, as well as negotiated and papered contracts with large Internet and communication companies, celebrity entertainers, and their agents.
- Outside general counsel for several dynamic and growing businesses, including software startups and retail medical services companies.
- Litigated numerous attorneys’ fees disputes totaling $10M+ of fees at stake.
- Represents a litigation funder. Has evaluated, monitored, and litigated claims totaling $500M+ in aggregate claim value on behalf of the litigation fund.
- Outside general counsel to a conglomerate of real estate holding entities, along with aviation, construction, music production, and music publishing companies.
- General counsel for a group of 20+ radio stations and Internet properties.
* The hiring of a lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely upon written information about the lawyer’s qualifications and experience. A lawyer’s prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome.